Friday, June 18, 2010

On my turntable: Green Day - American Idiot

I waited a long time to buy this album for a number of reasons. For one, I didn't want to jump on any bandwagon. That's one of my general rules in music -- don't buy something just because it's the flavor of the month. American Idiot (2006) has been "the flavor" more than once; It was super hot upon its release, and then it won album of the year at the Grammys, and then it was featured at the Tonys. Ugh. I had this vision of record stores being overrun with piles of used Green Day CDs that people didn't want anymore because they were no longer the cool disc to have in the SUV.

Another reason I waited is that early vinyl pressings were $30+, which is out of my budget for most LPs (exceptions primarily being Beatles & Prince). This 2009 pressing, however, is priced closer to the $20 range, which is reasonable for a quality double LP.

So I bought American Idiot a couple of days ago, and I agree it's a pretty amazing piece of work. I recognize at least 4 of the songs already, and the rest are growing on me pretty quickly. The gatefold 2LP comes with a lyric poster, which I look forward to reading.

No comments: