Wednesday, July 14, 2010

On my turntable: R.E.M. - Document (Capitol Vaults reissue)

I wasn't planning on buying the 180-gram reissue of Document (1987), which typically retails for about $18 or $19, but I could not pass on this copy today when I found it for $8.99.

Document is a record that I don't listen to often, but every time I do I'm reminded of how much I love it.  Back in '87 I had a bit of an attitude against the album, because of what I saw as its unearned status as "the greatest college rock album ever created".  At the time it felt like I was the only college student who didn't bow in adoration of Document, and I was fine with that. No way was I going to be one of those smarty-smarts waltzing around campus acting all pompous and intellectual with Document blaring out of my Walkman.  I'll stick to my Prince tapes, thank you.

When Eponymous was released in the fall of '88, I myself got the bug for R.E.M..  It was then that I started digging into their back catalog, borrowing records from friends and taping them so I could listen between classes on my Walkman.  I realized that Document stood out for a reason; It really is a damn good record.

1 comment:

Jay said...

You like Document because it is a good record.

Most listened to it because it made them cool. They could care less about the music.

Its rare that a record that makes you look cool is good, but this is one of those cases. I HATED this record too, because idiots bought it. Those same idiots sold it back to Cheepo when Pearl Jam came out so they could buy that. And then they sold their Pearl Jam CD for Nickleback. Then they sold their Nickleback CD for a Blue October CD. Too bad they traded in one non crap CD for a bunch of crap.