Wednesday, August 11, 2010

On my turntable: Eli 'Paperboy' Reed - Come and Get It!

Being on a graduate student budget, I try to be thrifty and thoughtful when it comes to purchases of new vinyl. Once in a while however, an impulse buy can be sweetly therapeutic.  A couple of days ago one of the music e-newsletters I receive featured a blurb about the new Eli 'Paperboy' Reed LP (released this week), along with a stream of an electrifying new track called "Explosion".  This morning I had an unexpected free hour on my hands, so I stopped by the record store to see if the vinyl was in.  And so it was.

Come and Get It! (2010), Reed's major label debut, is an all-out honest-to-goodness American R&B record, in the Tamla/Motown tradition of the late 60's/early 70's.  Lots of bass, sizzling brass & funky grooves. The vinyl itself is probably 200 gram so it's quite heavy, as is the LP's sleeve, which is pressed on old-school cardboard like the records of 40-some years ago.

When I make new record purchases based on impulse it's usually hit or miss, but this time I think I nailed it. Check out this alternate "performance version" video for the album's title track, "Come and Get It":

1 comment:

ChuckO said...

nice! i like it..