Sunday, October 10, 2010

On my turntable: The Monkees (Japan)

I am what is known as a "2nd generation" Monkees fan, the age group that watched the show in reruns on Saturday mornings in the late 60's and early 70's. Like many 2nd generation fans my first Monkees records were hand-me-downs. By the time I was old enough to earn allowance money to spend at the record store the Monkees catalog was out of print.

In the early 1980s Japan experienced a big wave of Monkeemania and most of the Monkees original catalog was available again via high quality Japanese pressings. I remember when I discovered these LPs in a downtown Minneapolis record store called Harpo's Hot Licks. It was a childhood dream come true for me to upgrade my scratchy second-hand LPs with pristine new ones. Through these imports I was also able to experience the albums Head and Instant Replay for the first time ever. A few years later (in 1986) America was hit by its own wave of Monkeemania; MTV was airing the series daily, Rhino Records re-issued the group's entire catalog, and a reunited Monkees had the highest grossing concert tour of the year.

1 comment:

Monica said...

I used to watch the show after school on Nickelodeon, maybe 1983 or 84ish? Loved that show!