Friday, November 19, 2010

All Things Must Pass turns 40

image from GeorgeHarrison.com
One week from today, 11/26 ("Black Friday"), is the official re-release date for George Harrison's groundbreaking triple LP masterwork All Things Must Pass (1970). The LP has been restored to its original packaging, with fliptop box, sleeves with lyrics, and a large poster of George in his Friar Park home.

image from GeorgeHarrison.com
The numbered, limited edition reissue is being sold exclusively through indie stores as part of the magnificent Record Store Day campaign. However, obsessive must-have-everything fans may pre-order the set now directly from GeorgeHarrison.com. After the added cost of shipping the set is most likely more pricey online, but it may be worth the $$$ to receive the ultra cool, collectible, and limited ATMP felt turntable slipmat (pictured, left) which is being thrown in with all pre-orders (while supplies last).

When I first purchased All Things Must Pass (some 28 years ago now!) I had just begun the terror experience known as junior high school. At home my family was struggling through its own tough times, leaving me with very few spaces where I could feel physically and emotionally safe. Looking back, there were two places
My first copy of All Things Must Pass, circa 1978
where I felt most at ease: my bedroom and the record store.  Dramatic as it might sound, All Things Must Pass was one of those rare albums that practically changed my life upon first spin. I've never been much of a lyrics person, but the messages of hope etched into these grooves provided healing at a time when I was in great need. Listening to this record still feels like a warm blanket, and to see it get such a thoughtful reissue makes me very happy indeed.

2 comments:

Muse-Zach said...

A really fantastic album

Tom Degan's Daily Rant said...

I was never 100% sold on disc number three, but your description of the LP as a "warm blanket" resonates, Jeff. As someone who never stopped spinning vinyl (and never will) this is joyous news indeed!

Tom Degan