Thursday, December 30, 2010

On my turntable: The Who - Tommy

I'm currently reading the compact paperback version of The Complete Chronicle of The Who 1958-1978: Anyway Anyhow Anywhere (which I recently picked up for $2). Whilst reading I realized I've not listened to Tommy (1969) in ages. 

While I like and truly appreciate Tommy,  I am not one of its many devotees. I recognize that the album is cohesive and highly ambitious, and I am sure that the mere idea of a "rock opera" was considered ground-breaking back when this was first released. I think the movie adaptation of Tommy is visually brilliant, although musically I prefer the original recording on this LP. Still, I'm more of a Who Sell-Out fan. LOVE Sell Out

On vinyl, Tommy has been pressed and re-pressed and repackaged numerous times over the years. It was originally released through Decca, which folded into MCA in the 70's. My copy is a bare-bones 80's pressing on the MCA rainbow label, with stripped-down artwork and a single sheet insert. The album is currently available on super high-grade heavy vinyl (probably also with a super high-grade price tag).  I'm sure it sounds very fancy. 

No comments: