Thursday, January 27, 2011

41. Beck - Odelay (1996)

45 years, 45 LPs, 45 days...
Odelay (1996)
I was pretty firm in my decision to not like Beck. I thought "Loser" was obnoxious, especially after it made the jump from college radio to heavy rotation on MTV and pop radio. Even though I thought  Odelay's first single, "Where It's At", was a creative leap forward,  I remained adamant about being anti-Beck.

>Cut to summer, 1996< I'm driving across Wisconsin for an annual camping trip when suddenly "Devil's Haircut" comes on the radio. I think to myself "Wow - this is a catchy number. I like it. Watch - with my luck it'll be Beck." >end scene<

Summer 1996, exploring the lovely village of Saranac Lake, NY
The more that I heard from Odelay the tougher it became for me to resist its shiny brilliance. I waved the white flag in surrender and bought the CD, and soon after that the LP.  I remain a Beck fan and consider him among a small handful of artists who continue to create exciting material with each new release.

For me personally, 1996 was a big year. I completed my masters degree on time and began the job search. I did a number of in-person and phone interviews with colleges across the country, including North Country Community College (NCCC) in Saranac Lake, NY.  I immediately fell in love with the small village in the Adirondack mountains, about 10 miles from Lake Placid.
North Country Community College, Saranac Lake NY

I received a job offer from NCCC, which I accepted.  One week before I was due to depart for NY I received another offer closer to home, which I accepted.  Sometimes I wonder how life would have been different had I gone to NY, but I have no regret over my decision.  Things happen the way they do for a reason; Who and where I am today are the result of a series of life choices, and so far I'm pretty happy with how things have turned out.

No comments: