Wednesday, February 16, 2011

21. Cheap Trick - In Color (1977)

45 years, 45 LPs, 45 days...

Ooooh we're getting into the really good stuff now!
In Color (1977)
Cheap Trick's second album, In Color (1977), tends to stand out as my favorite in their catalog. I say that it "tends to stand out" because my favorite changes, but I tend to gravitate back to this album. In my opinion, In Color is the ultimate representation of what Cheap Trick is all about: perfected, infectious power-pop played by rock stars that look more like comic-book heroes.

VIP pass for 3 days of Cheap Trick
There are very few artists/bands that I have seen more than a half dozen times. Among them is  Prince, The Beach Boys, The Monkees, but more than any other, Cheap Trick. My first Cheap Trick show was in August 1986. It was a poorly attended free show at Valleyfair, an amusement park in Shakopee, MN.  If you'd told me back then that the band would still be going strong 25 years later I'd have called you a liar. And yet, just last August I saw the band on a double bill with Blondie, and they did an absolutely incredible show.
My ultimate Cheap Trick experience consisted of  three nights at First Avenue in November, 1998, when the band played their first three albums in their entirety, from start to finish, one album per night. On one of the nights (I think it was the In Color night, actually), the band was joined onstage by Aerosmith, who had just finished performing across the street at the Target Center. It was another one of those "once in a lifetime" musical moments that you know will never be replicated, and yet you're one of the lucky ones that gets to witness it as it happens. That's the shit right there.

No comments: