Monday, February 14, 2011

23. The Bird and The Bee (2007)

45 years, 45 LPs, 45 days...
My countdown to 45 is almost half finished!  That's crazy!

I remember the first time I heard The Bird and The Bee. I was sitting on the couch and the tv was on LOGO, which was playing new music videos. Suddenly "Again and Again" by The Bird and The Bee came on and my ears said "uh wha?". I was totally transfixed.  A few months following the digital release, the duo's self-titled debut was released on vinyl by Blue Note records.  It became one of my favorite albums of all time.

A beaming Leo at graduation, 2007
2007 was a bizarre year full of super duper highs and nasty lows. On the positive side, I quit my full-time job to focus on school full-time, which I was able to do because Leo graduated nursing school and landed his first job.  I was (and still am) wicked proud of him, and feel so fortunate to be able to call him "hubby".
"Light", 2007
2007 was also the year that I began teaching, which was literally my dream job.  I wanted that very specific graduate assistantship before I even saw a posting for it, so to land an interview and a job offer was beyond cool.

Of course all of these accomplishments felt bittersweet on account of my dad's health, which had begun a swift decline. As fall approached the family was taking him to ER every few weeks, until November when he was checked in for emergency surgery. Thanksgiving was the last time we spoke to him. He passed away on 12.5.2007.
12.28.2007: Starting Over

No comments: