Sunday, February 13, 2011

24. The Beatles - LOVE (2006)

45 years, 45 LPs, 45 days...
LOVE (2006)
Anyone who knows me will tell you that The Beatles are my favorite band, and they have been since 1977. I have listened to and literally studied them for most of my life.

When I began assembling this "45" list, I wasn't sure where or how to include The Beatles, as I love their whole catalog and consider it almost outside of the rest of the records in my history.  LOVE (2006), on the other hand, while certainly part of the band's catalog, stands apart as a very unique piece of work assembled and produced by Giles Martin and his dad, legendary Beatles producer George Martin.
LOVE label
As a physical product, the LOVE LP's packaging is among the coolest of the past ten years. The double LP set is in a colorful gatefold sleeve with a wide spine. The records have custom labels, and the set includes a full-size book with liner notes, photos from the Cirque du Soleil show, and super groovy artwork (some of which is shown at right).  If you've been questioning whether to buy a turntable, this album may be your answer.

2 comments:

ChuckO said...

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Love this album! And the art! I wish all the Beatles music had the great sonics this does.

Jeff said...

I agree -- sonically this is an awesome album. I'm going to bet that the revamped vinyl catalog is going to sound damn good - One thing I noticed about the "Paperback Writer/Rain" 45 from last year is louder bass (McCartney reportedly complained often that the bass wasn't prominent enough on the original releases).