Friday, February 11, 2011

26. Bay City Rollers - It's A Game (1977)

45 years, 45 LPs, 45 days...
It's A Game (1977)

In some respects, I suppose The Bay City Rollers were my rebound band. I was feeling that my time with The Monkees and the Partridge Family had run its course, and I was on the lookout for a new favorite band. When I heard "Money Honey", and later "I Only Want to Be With You", I thought I had found the band I was seeking.  My love affair with the BCR's records lasted for about two years, by which time I'd discovered The Beatles, and I had to give the Rollers their walking papers.
Hype sticker, US pressing
Before I broke up with the Bay City Rollers they released what I consider to be their best album, It's A Game.  I remember my first face to face encounter with the album, at Apache Plaza's Musicland. Compared to their three previous U.S. releases, the cover art for It's A Game was rather sophisticated and mysterious, almost hinting that it was a concept album (which it wasn't). The content inside the sleeve was just as sophisticated as the cover suggested. This was the Rollers stretching their artistic boundaries, exploring some more mature lyrical themes and more adult-oriented music. It was the BCR at the height of their musical powers.
In the 6th grade classroom. From 77-78 yearbook.

After the 1978 departure of singer Les McKeown the band dropped the "Bay City" from their name and re-emerged with a new singer, a harder edge, and powerful pop songs that went mostly unheard  by record buyers. The Rollers kept going into the 80's, continuing to enjoy moderate success in different parts of the globe, particularly Japan.

Oh, and FYI - The Rollers and I have since rekindled our relationship. It's been agreed that I'll be allowed to enjoy other bands, including The Monkees and The Partridge Family. :)
BCR 1977: Les McKeown, Derek Longmuir, Eric Faulkner, Stuart Wood. 
Photo from insert included with Japanese pressings of It's a Game.

No comments: