Monday, February 07, 2011

30. 'Til Tuesday - Everything's Different Now (1988)

45 years, 45 LPs, 45 days...
Everything's Different Now (1988)
My happy sappy memories of this record are mostly from spring & summer of 1990, which is when I realized what an awesome album it really is. I had listened to Everything's Different Now at the record store (the album was released shortly before I began working there, I think), but I had a bit of an attitude about 'Til Tuesday that probably delayed my full appreciation of how beautiful the album is.
From LP inner sleeve: The adventures of Normal Man
By 1988 'Til Tuesday had been reduced to a duo. My perception is that this record could have probably been an Aimee Mann solo record (perhaps there were contractual obligations to fulfill?). I usually do not pay much attention to lyrics, but it's hard not to notice the deeply personal nature of the songs on this album. From what I gather, Mann had recently split from a relationship with songwriter/musician Jules Shear (addressed in the song "J for Jules"), which likely influenced the record's intense layers of emotion. It's a lovely album that does not get the attention and acclaim it deserves, in my opinion.

4 comments:

ChuckO said...

LOVE this album and now I'm off to ebay to find a sealed copy.. love Til Tuesday, love Aimee

ChuckO said...

ut oh... sealed album selection for Til Tuesday doesn't look good..

Jeff said...

Chuck - I've seen some really nice used copies (mine was used as well), but I agree a sealed copy would be worth finding. It's nice to know someone else who loves this album!

Andrew Svec said...

i think this is my favorite Aimee album. i love, love, love her song with Elvis Costello, "The Other End of the Telescope" but it's a very strong album overall! good choice!