Saturday, February 05, 2011

32. Lemonheads - It's a Shame About Ray (1992)

45 years, 45 LPs, 45 days...
It's A Shame About Ray (1992)
1992 was the summer of my discontent. I'm not just talking about the warm months between June-August...the whole year was pretty much a big pile of sucky discontentment. The same goes for a sizable chunk of '93 as well.

1992 was my first year as a "grown up" in the real world looking for a job after college.  I did some interviews but mostly I felt like a clutz who had a college degree but few marketable skills. To add to the suckiness I moved back home with my parents. Don't get me wrong - I loves me my parents - but nothing quite says "FAIL" like being 25, supposedly educated, and apparently unemployable.  It was humbling to say the least.

My MOA staff pass
That summer I joined a team of people that opened a Camelot Music store at the (then) brand new Mall of America (MOA). I'd had several years of music retail behind me by then, but this was my first mall store, which seemed exciting at the time. Turned out to be far less exciting and way more of a headache than I'd expected.  The MOA's grand opening was a worldwide event; I've never seen so many people in one place before.  The one thing that I loved most about working at a record store (helping customers find music), was not even an option, since I spent my entire shift behind a cash register. Hated it.

I lasted at Camelot for a few weeks before giving my notice. Before I left I took advantage of my employee discount one last time, and one of the discs I purchased was It's A Shame About Ray. I must have been listening to my college radio station a lot at the time, because I don't remember how or when I got turned on to the Lemonheads, but I definitely fell hard for this CD.  Interestingly, the full album did not get released on vinyl until 2009, on 180 gram by a company called Plain Recordings. Better late than never!
A rare personal highlight from 1992, gigging with my kickass band, Words.
(left to right: Garr, Matt, me, Kim.)

No comments: