Friday, February 04, 2011

33. Joan Jett - Notorious (1991)

45 years, 45 LPs, 45 days...
Notorious (1991)
1991 was an interesting year. It was the year I graduated college, which was very exciting and yet a bit underwhelming.  The country was in a job recession at the time and I was woefully underprepared for the job market.

After graduation I decided it was time to move on from my record store job of 3+ years.  So I got a job at a different record store. Brilliant!  It was a smaller chain that was dealing with financial difficulties, but I was an assistant manager, so I saw it as an upward move. I think I stayed 8 or 9 months before moving on. To another record store.

 One great thing about 1991 was the presence of a new music venue in town, Prince's Glam Slam.  I saw a number of artists there, including Prince himself (before he ditched the place and it became The Quest nightclub).  In January '92 I saw Joan Jett at Glam Slam, with special surprise guest Paul Westerberg, who had recently co-written and performed on Jett's "Backlash", the first single pulled from her Notorious LP (see cool video featuring Westerberg below).
Notorious, in my opinion, is one of the best examples of Jett's irresistible pop/rock/punk formula. The tunes on this record are marvelously crafted and catchy as hell. It's not a very common find on vinyl, but I highly recommend you snatch it up if you ever come across a copy.

No comments: