Tuesday, March 08, 2011

1. The Beatles 1967-1970 (1973)

45 years, 45 LPs, 45 days...
1967-1970 (1973)
As a general rule, I would never include a "greatest hits" album in a best-of list, unless it was a list of the best greatest hits albums.  I have my reasons for making an exception with this one tho.

On my 11th birthday in 1977 I received my first three Beatles LPs: Meet the Beatles!, Let It Be, and a German compilation called Beatles Greatest.  I soon started buying any-and-everything Beatles. The Beatles 1967-1970, or "The Blue Album" as it's often called, was one of the first full-length albums I remember purchasing with my own saved-up money.  At the time I was only vaguely familiar with the various Beatles LPs that the album's songs were culled from, so I experienced this album as a unit unto its own rather than a compilation of individual tunes.  I always enjoy hearing these songs as they are sequenced on this album's four sides, since this is how I first heard them back when I was a wee lad.
Listening to this album I'm reminded of what a good time the late 70's were to start collecting Beatles stuff. All of the band's American LPs and singles were still being pressed by Capitol, and it wasn't too difficult to find the occasional Apple pressing of a solo LP in the shops.

I still have all of the Beatles records I bought back in the day. Most of the ones I bought between 77-79 are visually tattered and worn, with torn seams, scotch tape, and other various markings, but they still play very nicely.  When The Beatles catalog was first issued on CD I bought every disc except for 1967-1970. I anticipate that one day I will buy a new vinyl copy, but I see no need to own a CD version when I would likely revert back to my ratty old vinyl copy anyway.

No comments: