Sunday, March 06, 2011

3. The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle (1968)

45 years, 45 LPs,  45 days...
Odessey and Oracle (1968)
Sometimes I think I'll never find
such purity and peace of mind again.
~ Zombies, "Hung Up On a Dream"

Such was my frame of mind from 1988-1991.  I was beginning to feel unease about graduating because I feared that leaving the college campus would spell the end of my enthusiasm for learning. Being as young as I was, I was filled with an energy and determination to change the world, even though I had no idea what that meant or how I would actually execute such change. I did make what I saw as some positive changes; I became a lifelong vegetarian as well as a loudmouth for ecological issues. 
Fall 1988
All of what I was learning in the late 80's planted the seeds for what continues to motivate me as a citizen. I still believe in the power of the consumer -- the idea that how we choose to spend our money makes a difference. I am also far more politically savvy now than I was 20 years ago, although my idealism tends to make things complicated at times.

I am not particularly good at living in the moment, but I do recall one particular day on campus in the late 80's walking between classes and listening to Odessey on my Walkman.  When "Hung Up On a Dream" came on it was like my brain took a Poloroid snapshot.  I felt self-aware, happy, and in the moment. At the same time I sensed that life would not always be so sweet and full of discovery.

2 comments:

John Medd said...

Jeff - did you see them when they toured the album last year?

Jeff said...

John - I didn't. To the best of my knowledge that tour didn't hit Minneapolis. I imagine it was an incredible show though. Colin's voice is as great as ever.