Tuesday, March 01, 2011

8. Three O'Clock - Arrive Without Travelling (1985)

45 years, 45 LPs, 45 days...
Arrive Without Traveling (1985)
hype sticker

I will be the first to admit that I have a history of obsessing over bands that I like. Despite this, the official fan clubs I've joined over the years can be counted on one hand: Go-Go's, Beach Boys, Annette Funicello (that's right, I said it), and Three O'clock.

Yes I carried it in my wallet with pride.
When I discovered the Three O'clock it felt like I'd hit the jackpot; It was truly love at first listen. The band was part of LA's "Paisley Underground", a group of bands that also included Rain Parade, The Bangles, and The Long Ryders.  The Three O'clock were blatantly psychedelic, but not so much that they ever lost their pop appeal.  This was a band that covered early Bee Gees ("In My Own Time"), played The Monkees' "For Pete's Sake" in their live set, and presumedly lifted their album title Arrive Without Travelling from the lyrics of an obscure Beatles b-side ("The Inner Light").  I had no choice but to obsess over this band.  I was powerless.

Official Three O'clock newsletter
Unfortunately, Arrive Without Travelling would be the Three O'clock's peak.  They released two more albums before disbanding: 1986's Ever After, and 1988's Vermillion, which was released on Prince's Paisley Park label (turns out I wasn't the only one from Minneapolis who loved this band!).  Both albums had their moments, but neither contained Arrive Without Travelling's unbridled flash of raw psychedelic enthusiasm.

No comments: