Sunday, April 17, 2011

Yesterday's RSD booty

pictured, top L-R: The High Llamas "Damby Delight", Beach Boys "Good Vibrations"/"Heroes & Villains" 10", Fistful of Mercy "Pale Blue Eyes". 
bottom L-R: R.E.M. 3 singles pack, Queen "Keep Yourself Alive"(remastered), Ramones/Red Hot Chili Peppers "Havana Affair"(red vinyl)
Well, despite having class from 8-4:00 (on an official record geek holiday!), I did OK. I ended up with five of the items on my list, plus one that wasn't on my list but should have been (a new High Llamas 45). I was disappointed (but not devastated) that I didn't find the Cars or Duran Duran 45s.  The coolest item on my list was the Beach Boys double 10" SMiLE preview. Of the five or six stores I visited I saw only one copy, which is the one I bought.

Despite the occasional annoyances (minor ones at that), I have to say that I quite enjoy the sport of RSD. I do not like crowds but I like a busy record shop. It gives me hope that brick & mortar stores are going to survive.  I love seeing young people with stacks of vinyl in their arms, because they are the ones that are going to keep the format alive for the next generation. Hooray for Record Store Day!! (I know that sounded really geeky but it rhymed).

No comments: