Saturday, May 14, 2011

On my turntable: The Cars - Candy-O

Candy-O (1979)
We've all heard of the 'sophomore slump'.  In the dog-eat-band corporate music biz of the late 70's it was almost expected that  bands with hugely successful debut albums were destined to release a disappointing second album. Major labels were notorious for signing bands to two-album deals, with contractual renewal dependent upon the financial success of both albums.

For as rare as it is for a band to experience the success of The Cars' iconic first album, it's doubly uncommon for bands to follow-up with an even better second album.  I can't think of many bands that have done it, but with Candy-O (1979) The Cars managed to escape the dreaded ol' sophomore slump.
Sticker found on initial retail pressings

Candy-O's first single, "Let's Go" was the first Cars record I remember buying. It remains, in my opinion, one of the great 45's of all time -- made for radio and an unmistakable hit. I didn't actually buy the full Candy-O LP until a few years ago (I found a brand new copy for $2, original sticker intact), but in '79 I had my homemade cassette copy, taped from of a midnight airing on our local stoner radio station. 

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has a re-issue of Candy-O that is supposed to be coming out soon. Based on what I've read, the pressing (created from the original analog tapes) is stunning. It's also expensive (averaging around $30), but I'm almost tempted to buy one if I can find it cheaply enough. If there was a New Wave hall of fame Candy-O would be in it, plated in gold, secured under glass, surrounded by an invisible laser security system and three or four vicious attack dogs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post, but "vicious," not "viscous."

Jeff said...

Thank you for the correction! Proper grammar is something I value highly.