Saturday, July 02, 2011

The Monkees @ MN Zoo Ampitheater, 7.1.2011

What a nite. The Monkees were stupendous, even tho they were unable to perform their show as planned. Six songs into their set, just as the band was starting "Papa Gene's Blues", Peter Tork stopped the music to inform the crowd that a thunderstorm was approaching and they were going to have to stop. He said they would cram in as many songs as possible, which ended up being just one tune before we all got evacuated to a building for shelter. At that point we didn't know if it was the end of the concert or not.
Set list, 7.1.2011 You can see where I just gave up.
After an hour or so the rain-soaked audience (who were beginning to resemble a gang of wet campers) received notification that The Monkees were going to give it a shot.  Following some vintage Kool-Aid and Rice Krispies commercials, Davy Jones came out to perform his solo tune "Rainy Jane", which I have never seen live before. Micky casually walked out and stepped behind the drums. It was a definite highlight of the night.

The highly unfortunate LOW point for me as a hardcore fan was missing out on all of the rare songs The Monkees intended to play, including the full HEAD album. After "All of Your Toys" (another mammoth highlight) they focused the remainder of the show on playing all of the hits. Being the pros that they are, they really gave it 110%, although I'm sure they felt at least a little frustrated over all they had to cut.
7.1.2011: Peter, Micky & Davy at the very start of the show
The last song of the night that I attempted to write down was "What Am I Doing Hangin' Round", which featured Peter on lead vox and banjo.  I say "attempted to write" because my pen gave out. I knew I had another pen on me somewhere but I just said "f**k it - enjoy the damn show!"  From here on I really paid attention to being in the moment, and was able to catch some little great bits of interaction between the guys, as well as spots where The Monkees themselves seemed to be really digging the sounds they were making onstage. Seeing that human element in the show as it's happening is pretty special -- it's something you can never get from a recording.

So here's what I believe is a complete list of all the night's songs (not necessarily in order after "Hangin' Round"...):
  • I'm a Believer
  • Mary Mary
  • The Girl I Knew Somewhere
  • When Love Comes Knocking At Your Door
  • Randy Scouse Git
  • Valleri
  • Papa Genes Blues <followed by thunderstorm break>
  • Rainy Jane
  • All of Your Toys
  • What Am I Doing Hangin' Round
  • Your Auntie Grizelda
  • Goin' Down
  • I Wanna Be Free
  • That Was Then, This is Now
  • A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You
  • Daydream Believer
  • I'm Not Your (Steppin' Stone)
  • Last Train to Clarksville
  • Listen to the Band
  • Pleasant Valley Sunday
  • I'm A Believer (last song)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We saw the Saturday night show. It was very fun, and the guys did well, balancing the comedy shtick with great pop tunes. Was particularly impressed with Peter's musical and vocal chops, Davey's feistiness toward some rude audience members, and the overall sound of the band. Mickey couldn't quite go for the vocal highs like he once did, but that's a minor quibble. I'm so glad we went!