Saturday, July 23, 2011

"Time to Get Alone"

Prior to 9/11 I don't recall tragic events that prompted me to create personal time for processing and healing. That's not to say that there weren't tragic events prior to 9/11, but I think the way in which I frame the world has been changed. Much of today has been devoted to processing the terrorism in Norway, as well as the sad news about Amy Winehouse.

I never officially jumped on the Amy Winehouse bandwagon, although I do own the Back to Black (2006) LP and have enjoyed it very much. I think her passing stings so badly because of the level to which her persona managed to seep into our collective consciousness. Her struggles with addiction played out like a reality program, and it was tough to see her slip further into the grips of addiction. I always privately hoped that she was going to pull through and show all of her naysayers the strength that she probably didn't even know she had. Having lived through my own family's addictions I can say that there were times when I saw no way out, no way that things could ever get better.  I am saddened to know that Miss Amy will never get to experience the triumph of her own spirit.

I have felt considerable urgency to process the tragedy in Norway. Being part Norwegian myself and growing up in Minnesota (which has the largest concentration of Norwegians outside of Norway), this feels like an attack on family.  As such, it is deeply personal.  I can't help but wonder if I actually have relatives in Norway that have been directly affected by these senseless killings.  I am frustrated by the fact that America, prior to our invasion of Iraq, was always seen as a world leader.  Since then we have increasingly become a country of extremists -- religious evangelical hate-mongers versus everybody else.  I can't help but wonder how this division has affected the rest of the world, including Norway. This is the stuff that I am struggling to process, and I have a lot of questions but few answers.  My heart goes out to everyone who is suffering.

If you are so inclined, please feel free to discuss in the comments, especially if you are someone who benefits (as I do) from putting your thoughts into words. Thanks, as always, for visiting my humble little web space.

XXX
OOO

No comments: