Tuesday, August 30, 2011

On my turntable: The Millennium - Begin

Begin by The Millennium
As far back as I can remember, I have been a fan of psychedelic, sunshine-kissed pop. I blame this mostly on Saturday mornings back when I used to sit glued to tv shows like The Monkees, H.R. Pufnstuf, and the Osmonds/J5 cartoons.

As an adult one of my greatest thrills is discovering some bubble-psych masterpiece that had somehow managed to slip past me. For example: In the late 80’s I found the Zombies’ Odessey & Oracle and The Rascals’ Once Upon a Dream. Ten years later I dove into Love’s Forever Changes and The Byrds’ Younger than Yesterday.

Today I experienced The Millennium’s 1968 masterpiece Begin for the first time. It’s records such as this (and the ones mentioned above) that are life-changing. Much in the way that I suspect LSD was for many people in the 1960’s (I’ve never sampled the substance myself), hearing these records can be transformational in that there’s no way of getting back to how life was prior to hearing them.

Not all psychedelic records are transformational in this way. There became a point in 1967-69 where “flower power” had become a brand, seen and heard everywhere as part of popular culture. Sadly, this meant that poser psych bands were a dime a dozen, and the real psych gems often got lost in the shuffle. This is the only explanation I can think of for why I’m just hearing Begin now. No worries, tho. I plan to listen to this record every day for the immediate future. It’s just that lovely.

I kindly suggest you do the same. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah ah ah. Possibly one the best emulation of LSD put on record at the time (mid-late 1968), The United States Of America(s) track "The American Metaphysical Circus." And yes the more creatively lyrical psyche groups were relegated to the underground movement as a result of being buried in the shuffle - money and zealous radio programmers. (Good tip for research is viewing Billboards magazine during that period at Google, learn something new all time). But if I were to name one psych album in the genre of being tame it would be side B and the last track of the A side of the Strawberry Alarm Clock's 'Incense and Peppermints' album, in the summer of 1977 near the apex of disco. Now tain't that peculiar!

Anonymous said...

Howdy. Since you have a catholic taste in music. KDVS (University of Davis at California) is one of the premiere free form college radio stations. I bounce every now and then and was impressed by this "French Pop" show by

Gwendolyn - Ginger Snap!
The Show is Calling All Girls
SHOW page is here: http://www.kdvs.org/show-info/1748
(Show can be added to an ipOd)

Pure ear candy. The first song by Marie Laforet is a cover of "Paint it Black", yet the first five songs bowled a strike with me. Michele Arnaud with Serge Gainsbourg is a trippy Arabic flavored French song, this one hooked me because I had to go KDVS' website and find who is this playing? And then there is a cover of "Nights and White Satins" a French rendition of Baby Love and so on. Nevertheless French Pop as well as German Pop are genres all collectors of eclectic music should explore. What did I learn from this show? Got a lot of French Pop records to find:) Thank you for The Millenniums' Belong recommendation some albums do age like fine French wines.