Tuesday, September 27, 2011

2011 Best of Qtr III

What an incredible batch of tunes this time around!

One thing I realized a few days ago is that the #1 song ("Forward to Love" by Ziggy Marley) is one of only three songs on the list that are not available on vinyl. The last time a non-vinyl track made it to #1 on one of my lists was Qtr I, 2008, "Lollipop" by Mika.  This current list's non-vinyl tracks are marked by an asterisk (*).

Long live vinyl!!

So here are my favorite tunes from July, August & September, 2011:
20."Repulsion" - Quasi (2010)
19."Don't Play No Game That I Can't Win" - Beastie Boys (featuring Santigold)
18."Teenage Love Made Me Insane" - The High Dials (2010)
17."Driver Education" - Indigo Girls (2009)
16."Listen to Me" - Brian Wilson*
15."You Hung the Moon" - Elvis Costello (2010)
14."From Here On It Got Rough" - Hildegard Knef (2005)
13."Tell Me What I Did" - Ben Folds Five
12."God Makes No Mistakes"/"Mrs. Leroy Brown" - Loretta Lynn (2004, first vinyl pressing released 8/2011)
11."Alligator Aviator Autopilot Antimatter" - REM (w/Patti Smith)
10."We Can Fly" - Yes
9."Breathe Out, Breathe In" - The Zombies*
8."Follow the Leader" - Sloan
7."Sanctified (strawberrius mix)" - fDeluxe
6."Cold Feet" - Liam Finn
5."Return to Now"/"Mediterranea" - Duran Duran
4."Babyfather" - Sade (2010)
3."A Better Place"/"Ghost on the Canvas" - Glen Campbell
2."Stand" - Lenny Kravitz
1."Forward to Love" - Ziggy Marley* 
Note: I've provided links to many of the songs in case you want to give them a listen over at my Fancy Tumblr blog.

Some observations of note:
  • I'm pretty certain this is the first time the Indigo Girls have made their way into my Top 20. I purchased their 2009 album, Poseidon and the Bitter Bug (2009) last month for $6. The album is masterfully produced by big shot Mitch Easter and I like it quite a bit.
  • I know this is the first time Sade has made my list. I've never been a fan, but when I found her 2010 Soldier of Love LP on sale for $4 last month (I've typically seen it priced at a ridiculous $30) I figured it was worth the risk. It's a lovely record, and "Babyfather" is downright sexy.
  • Three of the list's entries are composites of two songs that I mixed into one mp3. In each case I was taking a considerably short song and using it as a lead-in to a longer song. You may be thinking "hey - that's cheating", but I call it getting more bang for my buck. :)
  • Hildegard Knef makes her fancy debut on on my list with "From Here On It Got Rough". The song is from an outstanding 2LP compilation, The In-Kraut: Hip Shaking Grooves Made in Germany 1966-1974 (2005). I expect that this is the only time you'll read about Hildegard here, but never say never I suppose. 

No comments: