Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Bangles @ The Fine Line, Mpls 10.11.11

On the men's room wall.
So tonight I saw my third Bangles show. They were so good tonight, especially on the songs from their new disc, Sweetheart of the Sun (2011).

The doors opened at 7:00, and the opening act, Half Demon Doll, started around 7:45. They were quite good and very young!  It was cool that The Bangles gave this opening spot to a local band, especially one that didn't suck. 

Kicking things off with "Anna Lee"
The Bangles started around 9:45, I think. I had been standing for quite a while by this point because I just happened to have a totally mint spot right next to the stage, probably six feet from Vicki (who was wearing some kickass boots). There were a couple of times when I swear Vicki looked directly at me -- I was pretty hard to miss in my new Bangles shirt and a cheshire cat grin on my face. 

Bangles Setlist, 10.11.2011:
  • Anna Lee (sweetheart of the sun)
  • Hazy Shade of Winter
  • Some Dreams Come True
  • Manic Monday
  • I'll Never Be Through With You
  • Ball and Chain
  • Rain Song
  • If She Knew What She Wants
  • Restless
  • Live
  • September Gurls (dedicated to Alex Chilton)
  • He's Got a Secret
  • Under a Cloud
  • Going Down to Liverpool
  • Eternal Flame
  • Get the Girl/Outside Chance
  • Open My Eyes
  • Ride the Ride
  • In Your Room
  • Hero Takes A Fall
At this point in the night I decided to leave. My back had been feeling the strain from standing for so long. From what I've read about recent shows I probably missed an encore including the awesome new tune "Sweet and Tender Romance" and of course, "Walk Like an Egyptian". 

The Bangles, thirty years strong, are at the top of their game. If you have a chance to see them on this tour I suggest you go, or at least buy their new CD. In my opinion it's their best work yet.

Debbi, Vicki, Susanna: The Bangles

No comments: