Sunday, September 02, 2012

Loverboy/Pat Benatar/Journey @ MN State Fair, 9.1.2012

I must admit, I wasn't expecting to enjoy last night's Journey concert as much as I did. I'm not sure why I felt this way - I've been a fan since the late 70's, and always felt a bit cheated that I wasn't allowed to go to see them when their 1981 Escape tour hit Minneapolis. I was happy to learn that they were coming to the fair this year, especially with Pat Benatar (who I have seen before).

Loverboy's set was short and sweet, with no surprises (except that they sounded better than I'd anticipated). Benatar did a really solid set with only a three-piece backing band. She easily could have headlined the show.

Journey's current singer Arnel Pineda, as you probably already know, sounds almost exactly like Steve Perry. Perhaps I was lukewarm about seeing Journey because I viewed them as more of a tribute band than the real thing, but luckily I was oh-so-wrong. Last night's concert was simply Journey 2012, and they were damn good. After the show I learned that their most recent release, Eclipse (2011), is available on double vinyl (which I ordered this morning). The next time they come to town I hope that they incorporate more of this Pineda-era material into the show. 
The view from our seats in the Grandstand
Journey set list, 9.1.2012:
  1. Faith in the Heartland
  2. Any Way You Want It
  3. Ask the Lonely
  4. Only the Young
  5. Who's Crying Now
  6. Faithfully
  7. Star Spangled Banner (Schon solo moment, an odd addition to the show, in my opinion)
  8. Stone in Love
  9. Lights
  10. Wheel in the Sky
  11. Escape
  12. Open Arms (preceded by extended J. Cain Piano solo)
  13. La Do Da
  14. Anytime (sung by Cain)
  15. Be Good to Yourself
  16. Don't Stop Believin' (the crowd was a bit overly-enthused about this one) 
  17. Separate Ways
  18. Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' (encore)
I finally got an Escape tour shirt :)

No comments: