Tuesday, August 20, 2013

"I'm Alive"

I was thinking of what title to give this blog entry when the ELO song, "I'm Alive" just popped into my head. "Sounds good to me," I thought. I AM alive, even if the members of my family can't seem to catch the same break. Case in point:
  • December 5, 2007: My dad passed away from lung disease.
  • March 31, 2011: Mom died from lung cancer. 
  • December 18, 2012: My father-in-law passed away at home. 
  • July 31, 2013: My brother Jay (only sibling and only remaining member of my immediate family) is brought to Urgent Care and soon admitted to ICU with end-stage liver disease. 
Over the course of my life, my brother Jay has been my best friend, my partner in crime, my compadre. We grew up in the foxhole together, through our parents' struggles with chemical dependency, the awkward challenges of adolescence, the highs & lows of growing into adulthood. When Jay's marriage ended, I was with him (and his wife for that matter - she's still family) all the way, just as he was for me when I came out a few years later.

One thing that has always bonded us (almost since birth) is music. We share musical tastes and have attended countless concerts together over the years. When Jay and I talk about music, most people feel shut out -- it is a language that we have developed on our own, one that many have tried to follow but that few have fully understood. It is our passion. It's probably no surprise that both Jay and I are musicians as well.

At this point I could go on about how gut-wrenching it is to see my only sibling so critically ill and in intensive care, but today I want to focus on the positive. My podcast (the new episode of which began streaming today) for this week focuses on just some of the music that I associate with my brother Jay. I included records that we played relentlessly as kids, some bands/songs that Jay has loved in more recent years, plus a handful that, at least for me, speak to Jay's current situation and the struggles he currently faces.

For the next few weeks you can listen to my podcast for Jay HERE (<direct link).

Jeff's Fancy C-60 Podcast #63 (for Jay): August 20, 2013 - TRACKLIST:
  1. introduction
  2. You Can Really Do It If You Try - Rick Springfield
  3. Try It Again - The Hives
  4. Six O'Clock - The Lovin' Spoonful
  5. Open My Eyes - The Nazz
  6. Choo Choo Train - The Box Tops
  7. Kites Are Fun - The Free Design
  8. I Want To Fly - The Zombies
  9. Anything is Possible - Journey
  10. Falling Down - Duran Duran
  11. 'Till I Die - The Beach Boys
  12. *circle segue*
  13. Circle Sky '96 - The Monkees
  14. So Good To See You - Cheap Trick
  15. Tempus Fugit - Yes
  16. Twilight - E.L.O.
  17. I - KISS
  18. ...see you next week!
PEACE - Jeff

No comments: