Next Tuesday's fancy podcast will be my 50th! Thank you x 50 to all of you who continue to listen week after week!!
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
WORDS), and a track from the new Adam Ant LP. Dig it!
- Strawberry? - The Lollipop Train
- Held Up High (from The Records Tribute: Starry Eyed) - WORDS
- Skinny Little Bitch - Hole
- Burn - Iggy and The Stooges
- My Hero - Sean Lennon feat. Karla Moheno
- Teenage Trifle - The Lollipop Train
- Love is all that I Ever Needed - Partridge Family
- Beatnik - The Buggles
- Diamond - Brendon Benson
- Do It Again - Camera Obscura
- Eleanor - The Turtles
- ¡Que Vida! - Love
- Are You Being Served? - Death by Chocolate
- A Ray of Hope - The Rascals
- -stoned segue-
- Stoned Houses/Elevator - The Rollers
- 5ive Gears in Reverse - Elvis Costello & The Attractions
- God's Mistake - Tears For Fears
- Try Some, Buy Some - David Bowie
- Vince Taylor - Adam Ant
- -see you next week!-
Posted by Jeff at 6:00 AM
Monday, May 13, 2013
Tuesday, May 07, 2013
Passed my Oral Prelim Exam today with flying colors. I am now officially a Doctoral Candidate, aka All But Dissertation (ABD), or as one of my advisers put it, I am now A SCHOLAR.
Posted by Jeff at 4:01 PM
Thursday, May 02, 2013
Fleetwood Mac has been one of the bands on my (thankfully) shrinking concert bucket list. I was actually supposed to see them during the '87 Tango In the Night tour, but the Minneapolis show was sadly cancelled.
I typically have plenty to say following a concert, but this particular show left both Leo and myself a bit underwhelmed. After a bathroom break during Stevie's "Stand Back" we decided to be old people and leave before the encores in order to avoid traffic. There were some definite highlights, however, in the 2.5 hour show:
|Fleetwood Mac at Excel Energy Ctr, St. Paul, MN 4.28.2013|
(photo by Tony Nelson, City Pages)
- "Tusk", which included audio/video of the USC marching band that ended up being an audiovisual blast to the senses. Leo and I leaned in towards each other afterward and said "That was pretty cool!".
- "Sad Angel", one of the songs off the band's new 4 song EP, Extended Play, released this week on iTunes. The song has a tremendous energy, and the whole band seemed to get a kick in the shorts during this one.
- "Eyes of the World", a forgettable track from 1982's Mirage, which rocked so hard I thought it was another new song. As soon as we got home I grabbed my Mirage LP to hear "Eyes" again, but it paled in comparison to the live performance we'd just seen.
Second Hand News/ The Chain/ Dreams/ Sad Angel (new) / Rhiannon/ Not That Funny/ Tusk/ Sisters of the Moon/ Sara/ Big Love/ Landslide/ Never Going Back Again/ Without You (Buckingham Nicks outtake)/ Gypsy/ Eyes of the World/ Gold Dust Woman/ I’m So Afraid/ Stand Back (Nicks solo hit)/ Go Your Own Way ENCORE 1: World Turning/ Don’t Stop ENCORE 2: Silver Springs/ Say Goodbye
Posted by Jeff at 8:45 AM