Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Solo Beatles: 20 Top Picks

A good friend of mine, who is just beginning to explore the deep collective catalog of the Beatles' solo work, asked what my top 5 favorites were from each.  I didn't give it too much thought, choosing to shoot from the hip instead. Here's the result:

John:
Instant Karma (single)
#9 Dream (Walls & Bridges)
(Just Like) Starting Over (Double Fantasy)
Tight A$ (Mind Games)
Crippled Inside (Imagine)

Paul:
I’ve Had Enough (London Town)
My Brave Face (Flowers in the Dirt)
Live and Let Die (Wings single)
Getting Closer (Back to the Egg)
Fine Line (Chaos & Creation in the Back Yard)

George:
What Is Life (All Things Must Pass)
All Those Years Ago (Somewhere In England)
Isn’t It A Pity (All Things Must Pass)
Tired of Midnight Blue (Extra Texture)
Wah-Wah (All Things Must Pass)

Ringo:
Photograph (Ringo)
It Don’t Come Easy (single)
Choose Love (Choose Love)
Anthem (Ringo 2012)
Weight of the World (Time Takes Time)


Of course, after I came up with this list I thought of songs I omitted (including two of my favorite McCartney songs, "This One" and "Cosmically Conscious"), but I liked the spontaneity of the selection process and made an iTunes playlist right away.

Thanks to my buddy Chuck for instigating this list. I look forward to hearing about your personal favorites as you start digging into the richness of these records.

Beatles 4evs.

Jeff

1 comment:

ChuckO said...

Awesome, thanks for the list Jeff!