Monday, April 27, 2015

Recognizing happiness

Sometimes life is like a maze, and it can feel like there's no end to the struggles that lurk around every turn.  Every once in a while you get a flash of clarity, a moment in time where the struggles get put on hold. If you're lucky you're able to enjoy living in that moment, but sometimes we're so distracted by life itself that we miss these occasional opportunities to just "be".

Boxes of 45s
Last night I decided I didn't want to just sit on the couch and watch mindless TV, so I got out some boxes of records that my brother and I collected together, boxes that have remained untouched for years. I cleaned and spun records as I alphabetized the boxes. Suddenly I understood that I was living one of those moments where my struggles were outside of the immediate experience. It was just me, the 45's, and my late brother, whose spirit lives in the grooves of those records. I got a quick rush of joy and told Jay I loved him.  That exact moment was a gift, and I'm grateful that I was able to enjoy it, fully present.

This morning I'm back on the life treadmill. I've got my stuff to do, and I feel the weight.  More often than not the "day-to-day" is hard, but I try to challenge myself to streamline the struggle to make each day feel less complicated. In doing this my ultimate goal is to live mindfully, so as not to miss moments like the one I found last night in those record boxes.

Peace.  Jeff

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These moments of clarity are where its at. Nice post. Realization is everything.