Thursday, December 08, 2016

12.8.2016


December 8th, for me, has become one of those milestone dates during the year when I find myself pausing to reflect.  For many years I remembered John Lennon's death as a marker in my life, a moment after which I viewed the world through a less innocent lens.  Today it feels like I'm looking at December 8th through a lens that's been tinted by the passage of time.  The loss of a hero, or a loved one, is now something I have experienced numerous times.

When I look back at the timid fourteen year old I was on 12/8/1980, I see little resemblance to the person I am today, even though much of what took place around that time in my life remains embedded in my psyche.  There are demons that I still face, but overall I am grateful that I am able to recognize all that I have overcome in the past 36 years.  I made it.  I'm still alive, and honestly I have John Lennon and his bandmates to thank for getting me through some incredibly tough times in my pre-and-early teens.  There will never be a time in my life when the Fabs don't exist, and as I sit and think about that, I think that it's a pretty cool thing.

No comments: