Thursday, August 03, 2017

EMDR

Yesterday I had my first official EMDR session. The science behind any treatment involving the brain fascinates me. Over the past several weeks my therapist and I have dedicated our sessions to laying a foundation for the work we began yesterday, and now it's full steam ahead.

EMDR uses Bi-Lateral Stimulation to engage both the left and right sides of the brain to process past trauma.  The ongoing trauma that stemmed from alienation has been a major component of the CPTSD that I've lived with for decades. Hence, it made sense that my first session would focus on my pre-teen years, back when my early experiences with alienation started.

At the conclusion of our session, my therapist explained that my brain will continue to process the intense emotions that I re-experienced during the session.  I, on the other hand, can choose to not spend any time processing it. I get a free pass. I think the idea behind this is to prevent any re-traumatization.

I could write much more, but I choose not to process any more at this time.  I will say that I am optimistic about the relief that potentially lies in my future.  Hope.

No comments: